GER: Transdenominational Gerim

Friday, February 22, 2008

Transdenominational Gerim

I recently received a very agitated email from an Orthodox man, regarding stopping any further inquiry around Jews by Choice, because he thought that I would be taking advantage of their naivety, and putting a stumbling block in front of the blind as it were. Due to the minhag (Long standing tradition) around not discussing conversion after the fact, he assumed that the participants would be treated badly by their born Jewish friends and family who happened upon the film. He also expressed concern over the level of conversion, i.e. "Not all conversions are equal.", and those who convert Reform are not really Jews, until they convert Orthodox. After they convert to Orthodoxy, in his opinion, they would feel a sense of shame and regret over being part of the film before they converted Orthodox.

His argument is the same argument that all "minority" groups have faced: Don't come out because it might hurt you and/or your family and/or your acquaintances. Don't protest, don't go to the media, don't expose yourself. Because of the possibility of self-harm either knowingly or unknowingly. Stay in the closet. Ride the back of the bus. Stay on the reservation. Don't question your employer. Don't complain. Radical change comes about when a few brave people choose to break their anonymity, and stand up for what they believe in. That said, I am still making the film, and am committed to embracing all of the engaging stories that are brought to me in the process.

I recently applied to the Jewish Studies MA program at Hebrew College (an online program at a Transdenominational grad school in Newton, MA), hoping that I could use the film work in my studies and vise versa. In essence my thought is that this film is a Transdenominational examination of those who are converts to Judaism. The participants of this project come from across the boundaries of traditional and non-traditional movements to give insight into the process of conversion, and Jewish thought. I can think of no better way to illuminate the unifying factor of Transdenominational insight than through a film about conversion. In short, this film is the perfect bridge building vehicle to highlight the similarities between the movements, and allow us to embrace each other regardless of tradition.

There is a place in my heart for the man who wrote me the letter, because I don't think I realized the level of resistance that the film would come up against, until his email hit my inbox. I don't think of myself as controversial or provocative in any way, then again I live in my skin. Anyone who looked at my life from the outside could see a transsexual, bisexual Jewish man as a little provocative. Yet, I see myself as a pretty traditional Jewish man, I have a family, a wife and daughter, a ritual filled life, I go to Torah study, I lead the Ma'ariv service when I can, I enjoy studying Talmud, I love digging into the dictionary during text study, and I enjoy my Kehila Kedusha (Holy Community) to no end. And I think that many Jews by Choice in the Bay Area have an interesting, and engaging voice that challenges the Jewish community to action, a voice that I would never think of silencing. In fact I think I want to make a film about that voice...

No comments: